Volunteers are the heart of Habitat for Humanity of Greater Dayton with around 3,000 people volunteering each year. Habitat of Greater Dayton’s mission of eliminating substandard housing brings together individual and group volunteers from corporate, faith, educational, and community groups to ensure that everyone may live in safe, decent, and affordable housing.Visit Volunteer Hub to Sign Up!
Build Site Experience
Habitat of Greater Dayton homes are built almost entirely by volunteers, both skilled and unskilled. Our skilled on-site construction team provides all tools, safety equipment, instruction and preparation for the site. You may bring your own tools if you like, but be sure to label them with your name.
One of the great benefits of working on a build site is actually seeing the tangible results of your labor. Don’t worry if you’ve never worked on a construction crew – you will be guided along the way by an experienced site supervisor. In many cases, you will be working alongside the partner family who will eventually own the house.
What to Bring and Wear
- Wear old, weather-appropriate clothing that can be layered for comfort.
- Closed-toe shoes with slip-resistant soles are required.
- Please do not wear jewelry.
- Bring lunch and/or snacks with you if you are working an all-day session.
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Dayton provides:
- All of the necessary tools and equipment. If you have your own hand tools, please feel free to bring them. We recommend labeling them so there is no confusion at the end of the day.
- Necessary safety equipment; work gloves, hard hats, safety glasses, etc.
- Cold, bottled water
- On-site Port-a-John
Opportunities Beyond Building
The construction site is where the tangible work of Habitat of Greater Dayton moves forward, but no house can be completed without a lot of effort behind the scenes at our office and the ReStore. The Volunteer Services Department works hard to make sure that all aspects of Habitat’s operation are fully staffed with volunteers. Whether you are skilled or unskilled; at the construction site or at the ReStore, your role is critical! We offer a wide range of opportunities and hope you will join us and become a Habitat volunteer.